Three Volcanoes Challenge
The Eastern Turkey region encompasses a spectacular area of volcanic mountains which include the mountains around Lake Van- Artos, Nemrut Crater, Suphan-Tendürek Mountain and the sister peaks of Ararat and Little Ararat. The Three Volcanos Challenge will take you around the entire Lake Van region with treks into and around Nemrut Crater, an ascent of Suphan before finishing with an ascent of Mt Ararat. Apart from circumnavigating Lake Van, the tour will visit the island of Akdamar and between Suphan and Ararat you will see the stunning volcanic landscape of Tendürek, a 1,800 metre shield volcano and the peaceful Muradiye Falls.
- Day 1 – Arrive Istanbul. Overnight hotel.
- Day 2 – Fly to Van. Sightseeing in Van: Van citadel
- Day 3 – Depart Van for Tatvan with a stop at Akdamar with boat trip to Akdamar Island and the Church of the Holy Cross, followed by lunch and continue to Nemrut Crater. Overnight Nemrut Camp.
- Day 4 – Explore Nemrut Crater. Overnight Nemrut Camp
- Day 5 – Walk the rim of Nemrut Crater. (3050m) Overnight hotel on lakeside at Ahlat.
- Day 6 – Sightseeing Ahlat, then afternoon departure for Suphan Base Camp at Harmantepe.
- Day 7 – Early morning ascent to summit of Suphan (4058m) and descent to Base Camp. Afternoon departure for Dogubeyazit.
- Day 8 – Day at leisure in Dogubeyazit with sightseeing opportunties to Ishak Pasha Palace, Meteor Hole and Noah’s Ark Museum.
- Day 9 – Morning departure to Ararat Trek start point: Trek to Camp 1 (3200m)
- Day 10 – Acclimatisation day
- Day 11 – Trek to Camp 2 (4200m)
- Day 12 – Climb to summit of Mount Ararat (5137m) and return to Camp 2
- Day 13 – Return to start point. Drive to Van. Overnight Van
- Day 14 – Depart for onward journey.